Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I Guess A Whole Lot Has Changed Since I've Seen You Last

                                     What Would You Do (City High Cover) by Bastille

          To say that I am obsessed with this song would be a gross under statement. I first discovered this song a couple of months ago and the following few days, I listened to it on repeat. Over. And Over. And Over. And Over Again. I would put my headphones in, curl up on the couch, turn the volume up as high as possible (because, let's be honest, that is the ONLY way to listen to a true song), and just completely immerse myself in the song, the melody, the beats, the lyrics. The first time you listen to this song, you will pay little to no attention to the lyrics. You'll say to yourself, 'yeah, that was a pretty good song.' Then, the second listen, you suddenly hear the lyrics, every single word, and you can't get enough. You turn to your friends exclaiming about this amazing, new song you just heard! And it is nearly inexplicable to them... until they hear it. You emphasize to them how important it is to just close your eyes, shut out everything, and listen to the lyrics to fully appreciate the beauty behind this song. This song, which was originally done by City High in 2001, now covered by this new sensation of a band, the cover masters some might say, Bastille. The acoustic version of this song is one of the few songs that actually forces you to stop and think. You feel emotions you have suppressed for so long, finally surfacing. You think about life and the world and the small, every day atrocities, not related to war but to this thing called life. Words cannot adequately express the beauty of this song so I just hope that, after the first listen, you listen again, all alone, in the quiet of your bedroom or wherever you find solitude, headphones in, volume all the way up. You may not feel exactly what I feel every time I listen to this song but I can promise you that you will feel something.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
-Victor Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment