Wednesday, February 12, 2014

All The Things You Do Come Back To You

                                                      Dream On by Aerosmith

          Your first thoughts when seeing that this post is about one of the most well known and popular songs of all time is probably 'Not again... everyone likes this song... it's soo cliché.' While that may be true, this song means so much more to me, and to a lot of other people. It is one of those songs that hits you deep down in your soul, to your core. You don't need me to tell you that. The opening bars of this song come on and everyone and their mother starts gearing up to sing, 'Everytime, I look in the mirror...' It's a classic for a reason. Originally released in 1973, this song is as relevant today as it was 40 years ago. Aerosmith knows how to rock. They knew back in the 70s and they haven't lost their momentum since. There is no apparent lack of energy in their live performances.  They captured magic in the form of five people who come together to do something so simplistically beautiful: make music. Everyone single one of their songs makes you want to bang your head and scream and shout and feel. Yet, this song is special. This song is the one that everyone waits for at a concert, even if they're one of those diehards that knows every single lyric to every single song. I put myself in this category. While I may not know every single lyric to every single song, I certainly know my fair share of Aerosmith. I grew up listening to them. The song 'Dream On' does more than just evoke emotion. It is inspiring. So much so, I even have a tattoo on my left wrist that says dream on. Every time I listen to this song, it brings me back to another time, as if it's a time machine. I think about my childhood and my dad, who is the reason that such a large piece of my soul is composed of classic rock. Somehow, this song is able to make me simultaneously both happy and sad. How many songs do you know of that can do that? How many songs do you know of that are just as popular today as they were when they came out 40 years ago? That in itself speaks to the timeless beauty of these sweet, rocking melodies.

"Every time I look in the mirror
 All these lines on my face getting clearer
 The past is gone
 It went by like dust to dawn
 Isn't that the way
 Everybody's got their dues in life to pay."
 -Aerosmith

No comments:

Post a Comment